Saturday, January 4, 2014

Amtrak to Galveston: Part 1

It's so strange to be away from a reliable wireless internet connection for two weeks. Even though I wasn't posting any photos, partially because there was no wireless and partially because I didn't even bring my computer on the trip (don't tell my professors!), every time I talked to one of my family members they'd tell me they'd seen photos of where I'd been on facebook already. Pretty amazing how we can still stay in touch without even realizing it.

Anyway, now that we're back I've been sorting through photos and have some to share here. First, the trip to Houston on the Amtrak. We didn't get a sleeping car -- too expensive -- but did okay anyway.






Galveston was great fun. A big vacation rental house near the beach with lots of aunts, uncles, and little cousins for the boys. We all had fun, even though the beach was mostly too cold to be on for long. Noah especially enjoyed watching the ships headed in towards Houston.


Of course the railroad museum in town was a big hit too. I was amazed by getting to see some of the old luxury compartments. Velvet couches and fancy bedrooms. They had tons of old train cars to wander through, and even an exhibit with all the china patterns that each train used to use. I guess I'm turning into a train enthusiast by association!




Christmas photos will be coming up in the next post!

No comments: