Friday, May 17, 2013

A _______ Day

This blog is usually positively focused. I've never been one to write down the negative things. Today though, I'm having one of those days where I just keep thinking, "thank goodness its Friday." A day when being a mom, professional, PhD student, and all the other hats I try to balance, start to seem a little heavy - or maybe not heavy, but like that whole stack of hats just might topple over.

Last night Wes had a little fever. One of those fevers that although medical science cannot explain it, all parents attribute to "teething." I'm sure it was teething, but still, I'm going to tell you the honest truth, that this morning I just wanted to go to work. Some things felt piled up, and *please don't judge me*, I gave him some ibuprofen and sent him off to school. I'm the last person I ever would have expected to be that kind of parent, and you know what? I bet lots of other parents have days like this too, and we all just try to write about the positive things on blogs because you know what else? Parenting can be hard, and writing about the positive things just helps to put it all in perspective, and dwell on the being lucky parts of it all.

Anyway, as I trudged through the day I also had some good news: my comprehensive exams postponed until next February instead of this December (hopefully) without impacting my trajectory (hopefully). This is a huge weight lifted. A summer looming coming when I don't have to read absolutely as many books as I can every single day.

I told you the bad part because I also wanted to say, I am a very lucky woman. And thanks for reading. And also, even though I try to keep up an appearance here of being a super mom, I'm really just a regular mom. And that's good too.

4 comments:

glo said...

Thanks for sharing from your heart. Love you so much and wish I could be there to help on ______ days!

Orina said...

It's REALLY good to be a regular Mom. By trying to achieve Super-Mom status, we end up being very good regular Moms. And every mother has the story (probably stories)...whether it's giving ibuprofen or putting a movie in the TV or bribing with forbidden treats. we are so human. And our children learn about being human from us. That's good too.

Steve said...

And here I thought it was tough to be in my shoes, but then you realize I never did have kids too...you can do it. You are doing something amazing and it is worth remembering that.

Juliana said...

You are my hero and a super woman... two kids AND a PhD AND a job AND a house to not burn to the ground. WOW is all I can say about that. Don't know if I would be able to make it out of bed on a daily basis with that on my plate. You, my friend, are AMAZING. Thanks for sharing.