Saturday, February 6, 2010

One Fussy Week



I realize that I haven't blogged for a whole week. Here's why:

Last Saturday and Sunday Noah started having a fever on and off. On top of his runny nose, teething, and gas he decided that things just weren't going okay and on Sunday he had the fussiest day of his life thus far.

Monday I called the doctor because he'd had another 102 fever during the night (during which I don't think I slept for more than an hour or two, total). We went in to see the doctor half an hour later (for the second time in two weeks). There was fluid in his ears, but nothing major. "Other than that," she said, "maybe he just feels like crap." I know I did. I called my mom crying. "What do I do? He's been crying all day for three days and I can't put him down even for a second." So my wonderful mother drove down from Flagstaff (she had been down visiting less than a week ago) to help me.

Tuesday my mom babysat while I went to work. I worked for a whole six hours, which is a very long time for me at this point in my life. I went home and although Noah had been feeling better all day, he decided that it was not okay that I'd left for so long, and he cried for most of the rest of the evening.

Wednesday I don't remember what happened. I think we stopped by the new daycare for a little while, and then I worked for some hours, and Noah fussed but was feeling quite a bit better. I enjoyed having my mom around.

Thursday was the first day of the new daycare. I think it went well. Noah seemed to be in good spirits when I picked him up, but it added to his clingyness. Dennis and Lisa arrived Thursday afternoon and we grilled some steaks. The weather was beautiful and we rejoiced in the fact that at this particular time of year, Tucson feels like a very wonderful place to live.

Friday Dennis and Lisa babysat while I worked in the morning. I met them at the mall and we went shopping for something for three little 8-10 month old boys to wear in Chris' sister Amy's wedding next month. Afterwards we went to dinner at the cheesecake factory. It was the first night it opened, and mmm. It was delicious. I needed the evening to unwind and Noah was distracted enough by the energy of the packed restaurant to take a break from his fussing and howling. (At this point the fussing has much more to do with wanting mama to hold him at all times than with not feeling good.)

Today we went to Epic of course. I wanted to take a shower beforehand but Noah wouldn't let me go, even to be with Chris at that moment, so he sat in his tub and read curious George.



Afterwards, more running around town looking for things to wear to the wedding. I did not find a dress, but Dennis and Chris found some nice shirts. And now, it's 9pm and Noah has been asleep for a few hours (unusual in the past few weeks) and I'm finally here. I think now you're all caught up (that is, if you made it this far through my whiny representation of the week...). We finally saw some smiles today, which makes even the worst day worth it. And walking seems to be the best thing ever.



3 comments:

Xochi Mama said...

Wow, that sounds like quite the week! I am glad you (and Noah) survived! I hope he feels better soon.

Gina said...

oh my dear emery! i'm so sorry that your little boy has been so sick and distressed. what a tough week.
thanks so much for your email with camera tips and love--i really appreciated your thoughtfulness, but then the week got crazy and i didn't get a chance to write you back or try out your good ideas. but i shall!
here's hoping for a healthier and happier boy this week!
xoxo,
Gina
p.s. the word verification is "sewsea"--these are a few of my favorite things!

natasha said...

What an epic week! So sorry to hear that Noah had the major fussies all week but how wonderful that you had family here to help out. Hope things continue to calm down. xo