Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Very Special Day

Last year I heard a food story on NPR about a delicious combination of butternut squash, crumbled blue cheese and pecans. I still remembered it, so I thought I'd try it out. I put a little arugula on the side just to add some more color. Gaelen and Chris thought it was delicious. I thought hm, pretty good but I'm not sure I like that much blue cheese...



This dish is not what made the day special...

Our little boy has been sitting with us at meals in his little chair. He watches every movement, smacks his lips, and drools like you wouldn't believe. We've been waiting until the six month mark to give him any food, waiting until thanksgiving. But, with these beautiful roasted butternut squashes and this oh-so-interested little boy...







we caved.



Noah tasted his very first food. Butternut squash all mashed up in the baby food grinder.

"Yiiiicchhhhhkkkk!!... this is what I've been waiting for?!"

I'm not entirely sure that any of it was actually swallowed. And despite the happy face here, the taste was NOT agreeable. I tried another bite and it was met with the most disgusted faces and actual gagging. I don't mean choking, I mean when something tastes so gross that it makes you gag... maybe not butternut squash next time?

4 comments:

glo said...

Hah! Great pictures of that special moment!

Patti said...

Love it, love it, love it! Can't wait to hold and feed him some. Something other than butternut squash! LOL

Amy said...

Awesome. I love the photos too.

Xochi Mama said...

This is totally great. Eva's first was butternut squash as well and she wasn't so thrilled. She loved the sweet potatoes though...