Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lotions, Creams & Potions

Recently I posted photos (here) of some homemade belly butter and face creams that my friend Robin made for me. I loved them so much that she offered to teach me and Tasha how to make them. The recipe is from a really good book called "Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health"


(Elizabeth gave me a copy of this book for my baby shower, and I'm sure I will be experimenting with other great recipes in it). It's a little in depth for me tp write out here, but if anyone is interested I would be happy to pass on this lotion-making technique.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of pictures of the early part of the process. I think the kitchen was a little too oily for the camera at that point.

A peek into Robin's bag of goodies.



Basically, you need to have equal parts liquid and solid ingredients. The liquids are waters like rosewater and aloe vera gel, and liquid oils like jojoba, almond, grapeseed, and others. The solids are things like coconut oil, shea butter, coco butter, or beeswax in whatever combinations your skin prefers. The neat thing is that with the one recipe you can make any number of different creams by adjusting which ingredients you use (or don't use).

First we melted the solid oils, then added the liquid oils. That mixture is put into the blender, and the waters (with some sweet smelling essential oils) are poured into the center of the oils as the blender whirls them on high speed. What comes out looks like this:





We made a face cream first, and then another batch of belly butter. I've already used quite a bit of the belly butter since I have a lot of area to cover at the moment :)

2 comments:

Me said...

It looks kind of yummy actually, or like ghee. Cool! I want to check out that book.

natasha said...

I love my lotion and had such a great time making it with you guys. What a fantastic way to spend time with two fantastic ladies!