Sunday, December 14, 2008

A visit with Dad

For the past week my dad has been in town visiting from Vermont. We had a really good time shopping at antique stores, and of course, at Saver's (every one in town). It was really great to see my dad and spend time with him. Also, he did a lot of work on our house, which was very much appreciated.





It was pretty amazing to see the things he could make in a short amount of time out of scrap wood lying around in our yard (which he also organized).

We also had a good time this weekend when two of my dad's best friends for the last 30 years who live in Snowflake now came down to hang out for the weekend. Vincent is Maya and Louisa's dad, and Larry is Aurora and Corona's dad. I grew up being great friends with all these girls, and being around these guys all the time. One of the things I really remember about my childhood, and still enjoy, is hearing the three of them play music together. My dad plays guitar. Vince plays either drums, guitar, or sometimes the mandolin, and Larry plays the accordian. If you haven't heard Larry play, you might not think an accordian is the kind of instrument to play reggae, rock, and every other genre of music you can think of, but you'd have to hear it. He's been playing for 55 years, and to listen to him is to be amazed.







Despite there being an amazingly full moon, it was pretty dark for photos, so they're a little blurry, but I think it shows some of the movement and energy maybe. The photo on the bottom reminds me of one that was taken about ten years ago and my (and Maya's) graduation from high school party. I wish I had that to compare, and well as maybe some from thirty years ago when they all first met.

The first night of playing, the band was called, "Cheeses Christ" and the second, "Disguise blue." My dad is great at thinking up the pun band names. One of my favorite of his ideas is "Loud Sue." I wish he didn't live so far away.

One more thing, tomorrow (which happens to be Chris' birthday) Chris and I are going in for our first ultrasound and I'm hoping to find out the sex of the baby. If we do, I'll be sure to let you know!

No comments: