Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Thinking of Nana

My mom reminded me today that Nana (her mother) passed away on this day a year ago. She sent me a photo of an altar that she made to remember Nana. I wish I would have done something like this, but wanted to post the photo and remember her here.



One thing that always makes me think of Nana is antique knickknacks. My dad is here visiting this week, and he loves antiquing, so I've been discovering some very large antique malls that I had no idea were here. I was wandering through one of those places earlier today looking at antique dollhouse furniture. You know the kind that is so detailed that you can imagine tiny people living in the house that it furnishes? I kept thinking of Nana as I looked at the dolls, the little furniture, and the many antique things that remind me of her house, or of old dusty boxes full of treasures in her old barn. As much as I try not to be a person who keeps boxes and boxes of little things around forever, thinking of Nana and all her goodies today reminds me that I should hold on to a few things to show my grandchildren someday.

1 comment:

Tracey Mayer Hayes said...

What a lovely way to remember your Nana. It’s funny how certain things can ignite such strong memories. Yes, saving a few little things for future generations is important I think. When my dad passed away I inherited some things that once belonged to my grandparents, whom I never really knew. It provided me a stronger sense of my family history and a connection to them that I didn't previously have.