Saturday, December 6, 2008

Making Pie

Last week when we visited the Subys, we ate some of Beth Suby's pies, an apple pie and a pear cranberry pie. They were so delicious that I decided it was time for me to try making an apple pie myself. I've make pumpkin pies before, but they seem so easy, I was intimidated by all those fruit pies, with juices bubbling and dripping onto the bottom of the oven. So, here is my first attempt at making a pie, apple cranberry.

The recipe I used can be found here. I followed the recipe mostly, sort of (I guess I take after my mom a little in this). The main things I did differently were that I only used 3/4 C of sugar in the apples because (don't laugh) I couldn't find the 'quick cooking tapioca' the recipe called for, so I mixed in about a cup of Kozy Shack tapioca pudding instead. It turned out really well I think. I would recommend it.

Another exciting thing about making this pie was that I discovered something that Chris is fast and efficient at in the kitchen -- peeling apples! Who would have thought. It took him hardly any time to peel seven apples.



The apples and cranberries mixed together looked so holiday-festive-exciting.





I decided that there was enough filling to make two pies (although if you were going for one of those really tall pies, I guess you would want to just make one).





On top there was a crumbly crust made out of butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and flour. The recipe says to brush the top with egg. Well, I'm no expert, but in my experience, when you try to brush something gooey onto something crumbly, you pick up the crumbly, and don't brush any of the gooey. I tried it on one, and unless you are an expert, I would skip this part.



It baked for about an hour, and then there it was, a tasty pie. It was much easier than I expected (although I have to confess, I used the roll-up pie crusts). I just couldn't handle that much experimentation in one project.



Just one more thing, not related to the pie, but it happened during the baking, so...
If you don't already love Chris (and I doubt there's anyone who reads this blog that fits that description), you just have to look at these photos.

Last night he filled up our MSR dromedary bag. It's a soft nylon bag that holds about four liters of water. So when it's full, it's soft and squishy, and probably weighs somewhere around ten pounds. Well, last week in Flagstaff we stopped by a fair-trade crafts booth downtown and found this very cool baby sling that we've been itching to try out. Chris thought, hm, maybe the sling would work with this dromedary bag...





He walked around patting it for probably five minutes.

5 comments:

emery_rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

That second picture of me should read,"I wonder why this kid is so expressionless and dark?"

Thank you once more for posting silly pictures of me, and even more thanks for making those silly moments amazing parts of our life together.

Gina said...

you guys are too adorable! sweeter than pie. we missed you last night--would love to see you sometime soon.

glo said...

Yum, that pie looks delicious, and Chris looks like a natural toting a bag of water around. Pretty cute...

natasha said...

I love chris with the dromedary baby - too cute! And I have big plans to follow that pie recipe. Looks delish and reminds me of the new frontiers apple-cranberry crisp bars that are my secret love in life.