Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Descending into a cold Grand Canyon

I got up this morning at five thirty to shuttle Chris and Steve up to the Grand Canyon to start their five day backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. It's cold this time of year, with at least a foot of snow on the rim, and the snow level reaching all the way down to below the redwall. Chris and Steve looked like they were ready though, with their crampons, gaitors, trekking poles and maybe a little too heavy packs.

I watched them walk away down the trail, more than a little jealous that they'd get to spend the next few days in the bottom of the canyon, one of my favorite places in the world.

I was happy to at least get to look over the rim for a little bit, especially as the sun came up.

My mom drove up with me, and we had a great breakfast at El Tovar lodge. It was so icy even right around the lodge that we didn't get to walk down into the canyon at all. The view was beautiful though, especially with the snow. Hopefully I'll make it down there sometime next year.

3 comments:

natasha said...

I love your pictures and it's so nice to see they got off ok. I'm jealous too. Next year (maybe NOT in January and maybe NOT down the Tanner) we'll have to plan a girls only trip.:) Miss you and can't wait to see you. It's like summer here! xo

glo said...

Beautiful canyon pictures - it was fun to be there with you.

Amy said...

That's so beautiful.

Poor Adam. He missed out.

We're looking forward to seeing you and Tasha tomorrow!