Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving part 1: Brioche

Brioche is an important Thanksgiving tradition in my family. I can remember my Granddad making it when I was little, or my dad, or Gram and even my mom. It's sort of a sweet bread in a pretty shape that you can tear the arms off of. It has orange zest in it, and the top is brushed with egg white to make it shiny. It smells so good while it's baking.

We made the pumpkin pie and brioche yesterday, a good time saving idea for today, but kind of torturous to fill the house with wonderful smells and not be able to touch the freshly baked pies and breads.

I'm not going to post the whole recipe here because it's awefully long. If anyone would like to try this, please let me know and I'll make copies of the recipe. This is more of a nostalgic post about making brioche, the parts that I always liked to participate in.

Once the dough has risen, you put it on a round sheet, and make it into a flattened circle. With scissors, cut slits up the sides into a sort of sun shape, and then twist each arm up.







You can put some extra little pieces on the middle, which can be pulled off and eaten first :)



My mom's copy of the recipe has seen many years of use.





The holes in the corner are from one year when I was "helping" my mom, using a baking device called a hole puncher...



In the oven it starts to fill the house with the sweet, bready smell.



And finally it comes out, ready for thanksgiving dinner.



Here's what the old photo on the recipe says it's supposed to look like, we got pretty close I think.



Happy Thanksgiving!!

3 comments:

natasha said...

I love brioche and would definitely like a copy of your recipe. I love the pics of the tattered, torn, and loved recipe sheet. Happy Thanksgiving!

Amy said...

That looks so lovely and tasty!

Louisa said...

Thanks for posting this-- I love hearing about other families' traditions. It always makes me think about what kind of traditions I'd like to have for my kids to remember. How exciting that you get to pass that brioche recipe down to the next generation.