Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy (Late) Birthday to Mom

I meant to write this earlier in the week, but I was feeling overwhelmed, and I knew that my mom was having a lovely time somewhere in the beautiful parts of southern Utah, so... I'm finally getting to it today. Sorry Mom :)

Anyway, Mom's birthday was on the 8th, so here is a happy birthday blog post just for her.
























My mom's mother used to make these cards with dried leaves and flowers, with watercolor painted backgrounds and other artistic touches, and send them to me for every birthday. I didn't make anything like this this year, but I thought a couple of the ones that Nana made would be a nice addition to this post.

This photo is from my mom's wedding about five years ago now, and it's one of my favorite photos of us together.























One of the things that always make me think of my mom is the ocean. Not the tropical beach type ocean, but the Santa Cruz Cliffs kind of ocean. She grew up there, and we used to spend just about every Christmas and summer there. Even when we would groan that we were tired of walks of the beach, she would excitedly convince us that it was such a beautiful day, and how could we possibly be so close and miss a day of walking along the ocean!?

Something my mom is really good at, and I aspire to be more like, is always seeing the good and exciting things about whatever is going on in life. She gets so excited about a beautiful day, or a little camping trip, or whatever is growing in her garden, and it's really fun to spend time with her.

I hope the camping birthday trip to Utah was great, and that the hurricane rains didn't reach you (or if they did, that they seemed like something fun and exciting :).

Happy Birthday Mom, I love you!


4 comments:

natasha said...

Happy Birthday, Glo! I've really enjoyed getting to know you a little better this year - and now learning even more about what a great lady you are through Emery's post. I'll post my flourless cake recipe for you this week. :)

Amy said...

I love these pictures. Happy Birthday Glo!

Amy said...

PS I love that Glo shares bread recipes. :)

glo said...

Thanks Emery,
It was fun to read your birthday thoughts when I got home. And yes, the cold weather - we even had snow was fun and exciting, but maybe that was because we were holed up in a cozy cabin watching it come down. Thanks for all the other birthday wishes too! Fun pictures to see!