Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy Birthday to Gram

Today is my grandmother's birthday (my dad's mother, JoAnne). This photo (and a close-up of it) is an old black and white of her before going to a fancy party. I love the photo because she seems so glamorous to me. I wish I looked more like her.



This photo is of my Gram a few years ago in Las Cruces. I took it while I was staying with her for the summer.



It was a hard time for a lot of reasons, mainly that a large part of the reason I was there was to help her move my grandfather into a home for people with Alzheimer's. I missed his birthday just a few days ago, and will have to write a whole post about him sometime soon. He was a really neat person.

What I want to say though, is that although it was a difficult summer, and there were a lot of sad things to go through, Gram and I had a wonderful time together. We spent all day every day together, going to do various errands around town, visiting Granddad, and even trips to El Paso. One of my favorite memories of spending time with her was on a trip to El Paso to the air force base. We thought it would be a good idea to take a different route home, but ended up somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. We were on roads that kept getting smaller and smaller, and each one ended in a T. Well, we just chose one direction or the other, having very little idea where we were going. After a little while we started to laugh at ourselves for this random route, and kept on laughing until we had tears in our eyes. We thought that was the most fun thing we'd done in a while. I guess it didn't take much for us to have a good time together.

Of course we're still very close, but Gram now lives in Tyler, Texas with her husband Bill. She and Bill were married a little over a year ago. His wife also had Alzheimer's, and they met in the home where my grandfather lived. A very sweet story. She married him wearing a pair of pink cowboy boots.



Happy Birthday Gram!!
I love you!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love getting to know these bits about your family and life through this post and your dad's birthday post.

JoAnne said...

Thank you for the best birthday card I've ever had! We did have a great time that summer - the same summer you met Chris!
I love your blog - it's almost as good as talking to you everyday.
You are truly the most beautiful person I've ever met and after hearing the wonderful toasts at your wedding I'm sure some others think the same.
Love, love, love,
Gram