Sunday, September 28, 2008

Borscht, Bagels, and Baba Ganoush

I was so busy with all my cooking and baking projects that I sort of got behind on taking pictures of them, for which I'm very disappointed in myself. Chris and I walked to the Epic Cafe this morning. We figure that's about a mile and a half from our house. We must really like our coffee. And yes, our car works, we did it just for fun. Even thought it is cooling down finally here in Tucson, it's still in the nineties during the day.

I don't know if everyone in Tucson feels this way, maybe it comes from growing up in a cooler climate, but around this time of year I start really wishing I could wear a nice warm sweater, jeans, and maybe something other than sandals. Late September, that doesn't seem like too much to ask does it? Not here.

We bought a colorful assortment of veggies at Whole Foods today. The older woman behind us in line congratulated us on having chosen such a colorful assortment of things. Beets, a pumpkin, lemons, parsely, jalapenos, and lots of other healthy choices. It made our efforts feel sort of validated.





When we got home we went right to the kitchen. Chris started us out by making salsa, which turned out really good. It was spicier than we expected, considering we'd only used two jalapenos.



After that I started a pot of beets boiling with some lemon juice, onion, and sugar for to make Cold Borscht (I got the recipe from the Tucson CSA website). I'd been wanting to eat beets, and cold borscht sounded good, especially with the dollop of sour cream...



We ate artichokes, borscht, and a salad with avocados and spring greens that Colin brought over. Mmm, I wish I would have taken a picture of this feast!

Oh, I forgot to mention that while the borscht was boiling, we also made some more bagels. This recipe was slightly different, but it was still easy. After dinner, not quite finished, Chris peeled the green chiles and eggplant that he'd roasted earlier. He saved the green chiles, and made some delicious baba ganoush with the eggplant.



Next time we spend a whole day making things like this, I promise to take more pictures.
Here are links to the recipes we used:

Borscht -- http://www.tucsoncsa.org/2007/07/02/cold-borscht/

Bagels -- http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/270/Bagels13780.shtml

Baba Ganoush -- http://www.recipezaar.com/67570

I just noticed as I was linking to these recipes that everything we made started with a 'B' (oh, except the salsa). Maybe we'll start doing alliterative cooking days...

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds like a yummy day. I spend most of mine in the kitchen too. I'm sorry I was so out of it when you dropped by. :)

Gina said...

delicious!

Gina said...

p.s. I'm also longing for cozy sweater and scarf weather! Last night we pretended that we were experiencing a winter storm and had soup and drank hot apple cider.