Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Bicycling in Utila

This morning our feet hurt. I mean they hurt. I think a few days of walking all over the island with a combination of salt water and sand in our chacos was just a little more than we were prepared for. I didn’t think we should bring other shoes. Chris thought we should bring flip flops. We didn’t. Chris was right.

We went first thing this morning to Bodden’s to rent bikes. Its been a while since I rode a women’s mountain bike, but the women’s were the only ones with baskets on the front. I’m getting used to it. We rode our bikes to the blue bayou (I think I may have mistakenly called it the blue lagoon in a previous post). It’s really just a rickety dock that has access to the reef. We made it part way out into the reef, saw some interesting fish and a few large coral structures before the waves from a large boat sapped our confidence. Being from the desert and not too sure of our selves in the ocean, we headed back to the dock before we really made it out in to the reef. We sat on the dock and considered swimming back out. Those were pretty big waves... It’s pretty windy... It would probably be better tomorrow... Well, hopefully tomorrow we’ll have seen more of the reef.

Chris took this great photo of me riding my bike along the road that runs beside the ocean.



This was the first day that was clear enough to see the mainland in the distance.




I've been trying to get back into journaling in a paper journal at the same time that I'm really enjoying blogging. This is the first watercolor/drawing that I've done in a while.




2 comments:

Amy said...

I really like your watercolor drawing.

All of this makes me want to go on vacation. Badly.

natasha said...

Thats a great picture of you on the bike and your watercolor is really good - especially for being the first you've done in awhile. I'd be freaked out by the ocean too, but hopefully you guys can overcome your fear. I'm sure it'll be easier once you get past that initial apprehension.