Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cloudy Tucson Day



A cloudy day in Tucson is rare, especially this time of year. It was cool with a refreshing breeze today. This isn't the kind of wind that blows your hair and steals your energy. No, this is the kind of wind that comes with cool air that seems almost eerie this time of year here. How lucky to be able to spend time outside.

This is actually my favorite time of year in Tucson. Despite temperatures of well over one hundred degrees almost every day (which we are looking forward to in the coming months), unlike many other places where I have lived, the tourists and students leave at the same time. It's not, students leave, summer tourists come in throngs. No, in Tucson the summertime is quiet, mellow. It's hot, yes. But it's also amazing. I love the sound of crickets in the evening and at night. I also love the sound of the doves in the morning, and cicadas. To me, these two sounds put together sound like heat. They sound like the desert.

Our attempts to dissuade the hoards of ants from coming inside have not been successful so far. Tonight we concocted a special pot of sweet ant bait with Borax, sugar, and strawberry jam.



We've read that this type of thing should get rid of them eventually. My brother insists that we are just giving them food. He might be right. We'll see.

I like the way these flowers are falling off our desert willow and getting stuck in the cactus thorns. They look decorated.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I agree with your sound of heat assessment.

The first time I heard cicadas I was afraid. I didn't know what it was, but it sounded electrical and it was surrounding me.

emery_rose said...

They do have a kind of electric sound, like a downed power line or something. I could see being afraid of that.