Sunday, April 13, 2008

Flowers and Babies

It's hard, and easy at the same time, to get a good photo of a flower or a baby. On one hand, they're gorgeous almost all the time. On the other, they're moving (whether with the wind, or of their own volition, as the case may be). Either way, even though they often turn out well, there are several things that you have to pay attention to.





Flowers are the thing to photograph. Anyone can do it, and anyone can take a pretty picture of a flower. The trick is to get something a little different, which I don't claim to know how to do. Occasionally I get lucky, but these few are not outrageously unusual. The first one of a bee in a cactus flower demonstrates my need for a macro lens.



The others are of a beautiful flower garden on 4th Ave. The air has been smelling like flowers in Tucson lately when you walk through these neighborhoods filled with flower gardens like this one. The flowering citrus trees add a sweet smell, making the warm weather and sunny days the best time of year to be here.





I think I'll keep working on the flowers, and certainly on the babies, especially June, who is one of my all-time favorites. She has such a great personality. The hardest part of getting a good photo in general, for me, is getting the nerve to pull out my camera in a situation where someone might think I'm being a nuisance. That's another good thing about babies. Usually the baby doesn't mind, and the parents just want a good photo of their baby and are open to allowing whoever might have a decent shot to take a few. Flowers probably are not aware of their subjecthood, which makes that easier, and probably explains why I am often uploading photos of inanimate objects.
In the interest of being able to carry more useful accessories (i.e. a little tripod, filters, and extra batteries, among other things) I opted to change camera cases today, which will take a little getting used to. To make the transition easier, I added my old camera strap from Costa Rica, despite it's scratching potential, and I already feel my of a sense of ownership over this newfangled digital SLR. It has so much more depth than my trusty film camera, and the menus sometimes seem like they're in a foreign language. A helpful site I found for deciphering some of them (although I'm not sure that's what it's intended for) is http://www.dpreview.com/
If you look at some of the later pages of the camera review, they have some in depth description of the menus, as well as of the settings that maximize the shooting potential of that particular camera.

No comments: